Friday, January 23, 2009

The Love We Share Without Knowing


I am happy to say I got to meet the author of the best book I have ever read in my life!!! Chris lived in Japan at the same time as me and I got the opportunity to meet him through the great Jody D White. He is a wonderful novelist and I think that his new novel " The Love We Share Without Knowing" is the best souvenir that I will ever own from my time in Japan(and I bought it a couple weeks ago in Canada which is ironic to say the least). I can barely describe it and I am not sure if I will do it any justice in my little blog blurb. I am not sure that all will have the same feelings of fondness and understanding that I did while reading it but nonetheless I recommend it to everyone. The stories interweave and each story is better than the last. The book has a truthful, honest outlook filled with sympathy, regrets and above all... love. The book took me back to Japan: the karaoke booths, the foreigners, the bright lights of Tokyo, and also let me look at the other side of things(through the eyes of the Japanese). The cultural references depicted in his novel are profound and the underlying meanings strike the reader as they move through all of the lives of the characters. Poignant and clever, this book had me laughing, crying and at the end it had me screaming for more...
Thank you Chris:) I know I keep singing your praises but it is well deserved and I mean it from the bottom of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment