Friday, February 27, 2009

KETSUEKI-GATA

I have been more and more interested in the Japanese belief that specific blood types have specific personality traits. This is similar to the western world belief in astrology and is referred to as ketsueki-gata. In 1900, Karl Landsteiner of Austria found that there were three major blood types(A, B and O). Judging people based on at blood types was used by German Nazis in order to further ideas of supremacy over different races. It is believed that blood type is based on ethnicity or at least the likelihood of certain blood types are. For example, Japanese most commonly are Type B while Taiwanese are more likely to be O. As a political scheme at the turn of the century the government spoke about intermarrying Japanese with Tawainese to create less people with Type O blood. People with Type O blood are considered to be rebellious, open to revolt, and in general, people who behave cruelly. I guess that is why when my friend Daichi asked my blood type and I said O- he had little to say except " Oh really! (cue long awkward pause...) In Canada, I am bothered daily with phone calls asking me for my blood. Only 7% of the world's population has O- blood type and because it is a universal donor type they want it. I feel a sense of prestige and importance when at the Canadian Blue Cross society having the blood type that I do. I mean I could save anybody with any blood type. I mean I know "blood is in you to give" but I am not sure I have enough in my body to keep these people satisfied! I don't know if I should stay in Canada and deal with the daily phone calls begging me for my blood or if I should return to Japan where I will be watched carefully in case I am going to do some sort of evil deeds which will undoubtedly not be my fault as they are
genetically determined by my blood type...Think that is what my students thought??



2 comments:

  1. Tressa.... most people in Japan are blood type A. In Japan, type B people (like me) are actually portrayed in a negative light because most of the population is A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hanto ni??? Well anywho...we are both evil then;)

    ReplyDelete