Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dos Cerveza Por Favor













We made it back from our 8 day trip to the Mayan Riviera in Mexico. It was so beautiful there and I had the greatest time! I went to Thailand about 4 years ago and have not been to a tropical place since so the beach and the beautiful balmy weather was a welcome change after a long Canadian winter.

We arrived at our resort (Barcelo Maya Beach) in the early evening on March 31st. I highly recommend the Barcelo Resort which has 5 resorts in 1 and was beautiful. There was lots to do there and we were close to many tourist destinations. We spent the first night and the entire next day wandering around the resort, walking on the beach, sitting at the swim up bar and soaking up the sun.

Our second full day there we went on a day trip to Xcaret. This I also highly recommend if you are ever in that area. It was an ecopark with exotic animals and plant life. We went snorkeling, watched the dolphins and giant sea turtles, went on a ride on a revolving tower and ended the day with a spectacular 2 hour performance about the entire history of the Mayan people...definitely one of the most memorable moments of the trip.

The next day Angie and the rest of the wedding crew were all there and we all took an afternoon trip into Playa del Carmen which was the closest city to us. We spent time shopping on 5th avenue, bought some dresses and souvenirs and enjoyed the ocean view. That night Brian and I had reservations at a fancy French restaurant. It was delicious and the restaurant itself was out of this world. I will never forget that experience. We quickly ran after dinner to get on a pub crawl with the wedding party. We went to Carlos and Charlies, Senor Frogs and Coco Bongo. At C and C's the male waiters put on a dance performance for us, Senor Frogs was the most unique bar I have ever seen and Coco Bongo had an amazing show and we got to watch from up high instead of being crammed on the floor with everyone. It was so much fun, all the drinks you could have and couldn't have asked to experience it with better people. The only bad thing that happened was that we lost Brian's camera that night at Coco Bongo's. I was pretty devastated as we had some great pictures that can never be replaced.

The next day was the wedding day! Angie looked absolutely beautiful(and Brad handsome). I was a bridesmaid along with her two sisters Amber and Jolee and her friend Tammy. What a great bunch of girls to spend the day with! After the ceremony we enjoyed cocktails, a steak and lobster dinner, speeches and dancing. I acted as MC for the wedding and Brian was DJ. It was a small, intimate wedding and I am so happy I got to take part in their special day.

The day after the wedding Angie and Brad had booked a Catamaran. Everything started out good and then all of a sudden I was seasick. Brian and Angie and Tammy and others also got very ill. Brian and I ended up throwing up and taking Gravol and I passed out from the medication and couldn't eat the steak and lobster that was made for us :-( We were literally green. I guess being pirates is not our "calling" ;-) We went snorkeling in the ocean but because the waves were so big that day it was not fun and did not help with the nausea. Once we made it back to dry land I felt perfectly fine and after a nap enjoyed the nightly theatre performance at our resort. The final day Brian and I went to Xplor which is an adventure park with Zip lining, Amphibious vehicles, river swimming and river rafting. It was a lot of fun but tiring. The zip lining was much higher up and scarier than I had anticipated but I got through it unscathed. We got back and went to an awesome Japanese restaurant for our last night. The cook was funny and the food was delicious. We then went for a drink with Angie and the crew and said our goodbyes.

We made it home and I couldn't help but be sad. I can hardly wait to start planning another trip! It was nice to be with friends and spend some time away with Brian. It was nice to experience something different than what I am used to and I enjoyed absolutely every second of it and will never forget it...

No comments:

Post a Comment