Thursday, October 28, 2010

Hope

I work at a community school. Before going there for my internship I had no idea what that meant...Teaching there requires me to be patient, understanding and always compassionate. It is different from working in any other school. The school that I work at has children who are impoverished and many have problems at home. I had a wonderful upbringing, we had money, food, clothing, shelter, a stable environment. I don't know how to relate. I am a bleeding heart and feel that I have some compassion but I will NEVER know what it is like to walk in some of these kids shoes. I find each day I learn something new about myself and about those different from me. I also find that each and every day I realize how fortunate I have been and how some are handed the short end of the stick at birth. I have fallen in love with my kids and even though some days are trying(today was one of those days) I still have hope. Hope that they will succeed, hope that I will have an impact on their life, hope that they can get out of what they are in and find happiness, hope that they will not get into trouble, hope that they will indeed have hope.

1 comment:

  1. aw, you are a bleeding heart.



    p.s. I went to a 'community' school. It wasn't bad. I think you mean 'inner city' school.

    ReplyDelete